Tuesday 14 July 2009

A short walk to Fin Cop

On Tuesday, I went for a short afternoon walk on my own. I decided to go to the top of Fin Cop, above Monsal dale. There is no bona fide footpath there, but as it's uncultivated, and the right to roam act says it's ok(ish), I decided to go.
I left my front door, and headed for Ashford in the Water. It was a sunny day, but it had been threatening rain all morning. I'd put a brolly in my rucksack, just in case!
As I walked along the riverbank at the side of the Buxton road, I spotted these two water birds (coots or moorhens??). She was obviously sitting on a late clutch of eggs.

The path left the road and headed across the meadows.
I love the way the trees are grazed to a flat underside.


I crossed the small stone bridge to Ashford village, and as I looked down, saw this trout hanging around, waiting for passing titbits or flies. He looks about pan-size to me!
The quintessential village cricket pitch at Ashford in the Water.
Nothing happening today, but I bet there's a great deal of 'leather on willow' goes off here at the weekends.


I noticed the bees were very busy on a large bunch of flowers in one of the village gardens.


Some of the houses have such LOVELY names. I wonder who 'Nanny peggy' was?


...and of course, the village church. They have a very good flower festival in this church.

My Mum used to say it was going to rain if the cows were lying down.....(or did she say standing up????)

I joined one of my favourite lanes, Pennyunk lane, and at this time of year it's just a delight to the soul to walk along this sort of lane.
Flowers, bees, birds and oh, the superb views.
Again, the bees were hard at it, collecting pollen while they could.

As I walked, I heard a; 'chat-chat-chat' sound and noticed this Jenny Wren on a post, chiding me.
Her nest must have been close by, as they are normally very secretive and hide away.
It's a nice shot, as I caught her 'mid chat'.
I hid under a tree from a short, squally shower, after which the air came alive with the heavy scent & smell of the flowers, grasses and earth.
Sweet and clean, I gulped lungsful as I walked up the lane.
I don't know the name of this plant, but if you ever see it (it's usually down the middle of tracks, or in farm gateways), rub the yellow head and smell your fingers - it smells like fresh pineapple!!)

A field of rape, with a few poppies thrown in for good measure.

At the top of Pennyunk lane, I left the path and made my way up to Fin Cop.
It's a fabulous viewpoint, and I could see by the track in the grass that others had been to take in the view before me. This is the view of the Monsal viaduct & Monsal head from there.

I spotted this moth resting on the grass.


I was also surprised to see the first raspberries this season - a wake up call to just how fast the summer time was passing.

I enjoyed a good while up on Fin cop before returning to join Pennyunk lane, and drop down to Monsal head.
The sky looks a lot clearer and settled now, but it wasn't to last long.

Looking across towards Bakewell.
You can't see it from here though.

This is the more classic view of the viaduct, and the one most tourists see.
Last night Sue and I came up here to watch the sun set, and it was quite a good one!

This is the Monsal head hotel, looking good now after a coat of paint and some TLC.

I crossed the fields and joined the Monsal trail back to Bakewell.
The bees were also making the most of the thistle flowers here.

Then the rains came! I got as far as Hassop station, now 'The Old Bookshop', before I was sent sheltering from a downpour. It looked set in, so I rang Sue who obligingly came and picked me up in the car.


No comments:

Post a Comment