Friday 6 May 2011

Short Monsal dale walk.


We had to go to the cash and carry on our 'day off', so a long walk was out of the question, but we decided to do a couple of hours around Monsal dale before the sun went down. We went along the bottom of the dale, towards the A6, then climbed up to Brushfield and made our way along the top ridge and then back down and up to Monsal head. Three and a half miles in all. Our first sight was the tunnel, complete now with electric lights, and a new surface. It won't be long before these tunnels are open.


We dropped into the dale, and got the iconic view of the viaduct, with the evening sun on the stonework.

The marsh marigolds were WELL out, very early too, but as we were to discover, they were far from alone.



We were lucky enough to see a couple of pairs of Mandarin duck, resplendent in their fancy plumage. They always look unreal to me, TOO fancy, if you know what I mean.

We passed the weir, and I tried a shot of the water.


Sue decided to make the most of the last rays.

Next thing, to our surprise, BLUEBELLS! Only a few, I admit, but up, all the same.

Then, of course, we started seeing more, and more.

Primula too - what a treat

I couldn't believe it when we saw these cowslips - in full flower, already!

Campion.......


Lady smock.........

...and this was incredible - at LEAST three weeks before I expected this shot.

We walked along the ridge from Brushfield, with super views down into the dale. Here's the weir I took pictures of.

This is 'Fin Cop' - they've just discovered a brutal massacre of women and children took place here - but it was MANY years ago. Read all about it here; http://www.peakdistrict-nationalpark.com/fin-cop-hillfort.aspx

As the sun sank below the ridge horizon, the last rays were reflected on the ivy choking this tree.

Then it was up to the Hotel for a swift pint before returning home.
A lovely way to spend an early summer evening :-)

3 comments:

  1. I don't know if I will dare go in those tunnels. I may just have to wait at the Monsal head pub with the coats!!! I'd like to see where they have been doing the dig. Monsal Dale is one of my favourite places in the whole world. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, when they finally open, Diane - I'll get the INSIDE pictures! Watch this space!

    ReplyDelete